Preparing for A Farm Field Trip
Information about your farm field trip
In order to prepare students for a Harvest Meal/Snack farm field trip we offer a one hour (half hour for Harvest Snack) classroom visit. Staff will provide a sustainable food lesson and information on what to expect on the farm.
What to Expect on the Farm
In preparation for your upcoming visit we ask that you read through this information carefully.
Rogue Valley Farm to School coordinates with local farms to allow students to visit a working farm. We have agreements with each site that must be honored to ensure continued program availability. It is important that students observe the rules resulting from these agreements. These guidelines have been developed with the safety of the children and the farmer’s crops in mind. We will review the following rules required of each visitor to all of our farm sites when your class arrives. They are:
- Watch where you step - even the smallest foot can damage seedlings and irrigation tubing.
- Ask before you pick anything - children will have the opportunity to harvest, but need to wait for instruction.
- Stay with your group - sometimes activities are spread out over a large area and we don’t want anyone getting lost.
- Respect the people, the farm and the food - tools are to be used with care and for their intended purpose. The produce is to be eaten and should be treated gently.
We offer an early start at 9:00 or a late start at 10:00. P
Sample Harvest Meal Schedule:
9:30-9:45 Welcome, orientation
** SPLIT INTO GROUPS**
9:45-10:15 Session 1
10:15-10:45 Session 2
11:00-11:30 Session 3
11:30-12:00 Session 4
12:00-1:00 LUNCH, clean up, good-byes
Small Groups with Assigned Parent or Teacher Leaders
- Please bring 4 adult chaperones
- Have the class divided into four even groups
- Name the groups in farm-themed names
- Please provide name tags for each of your students, having them color coded by group is helpful
What to Bring
- Attire: weather-appropriate clothing, dress in layers, sturdy shoes or boots
- Snack (lunch will be provided at Harvest Meals)
- Water bottles
Harvest Meal Field Trip Fee
The Harvest Meal fee is $200 per class. Financial assistance up to %50 is available to classes in need. Click here for the Financial Assistance Application.
You will receive an invoice for your Harvest meal prior to your field trip date.
We accept checks payable to Rogue Valley Farm to School.
If you would like a receipt please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please mail checks prior to your farm trip pre-visit to:
Rogue Valley Farm to School
PO Box 898
Ashland OR 97520
If you have any questions or concerns about your field trip, don't hesitate to contact us!