Preparing for A Farm Field Trip
Information about your farm field trip
In order to prepare students for a Harvest Meal/Snack farm field trip we offer a one hour (half hour for Harvest Snack) classroom visit. Staff will provide a sustainable food lesson and information on what to expect on the farm.
What to Expect on the Farm
In preparation for your upcoming visit we ask that you read through this information carefully.
Rogue Valley Farm to School coordinates with local farms to allow students to visit a working farm. We have agreements with each site that must be honored to ensure continued program availability. It is important that students observe the rules resulting from these agreements. These guidelines have been developed with the safety of the children and the farmer’s crops in mind. We will review the following rules required of each visitor to all of our farm sites when your class arrives. They are:
- Watch where you step - even the smallest foot can damage seedlings and irrigation tubing.
- Ask before you pick anything - children will have the opportunity to harvest, but need to wait for instruction.
- Stay with your group - sometimes activities are spread out over a large area and we don’t want anyone getting lost.
- Respect the people, the farm and the food - tools are to be used with care and for their intended purpose. The produce is to be eaten and should be treated gently.
Schedules can be adapted to fit the time your visit allows.
Sample Harvest Meal Schedule:
9:30-9:45 Welcome, orientation, rules
** SPLIT INTO GROUPS**
9:45-10:15 Session 1
10:15-10:45 Session 2
11:00-11:30 Session 3
11:30-12:00 Session 4
12:00-1:00 LUNCH, clean up, good-byes
Small Groups with Assigned Parent or Teacher Leaders
- Please bring 4 adult chaperones
- Have the class divided into four even groups
- Name the groups in farm-themed names
- Please provide name tags for each of your students, having them color coded by group is helpful
What to Bring
- Attire: weather-appropriate clothing, dress in layers, sturdy shoes or boots
- Snack (lunch will be provided at Harvest Meals)
- Water bottles
Field Trip Fee Update Fall 2017
Starting in Fall 2017 we will be changing from a sliding scale donation to a set fee of $200 per field trip. Schools with financial need will be eligible for a class scholarship. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for a scholarship application.
Suggested Donation-Spring 2017
Please remember that we are a nonprofit organization, donations are gratefully accepted!
Harvest Meal Donation: $5-7 per student, Title I Schools $1-4 per student
Harvest Snack Donation: $3-5 per student, Title I Schools $1-3 per student
We accept checks payable to Rogue Valley Farm to School.
If you would like an invoice or receipt please email Rebecca at email@example.com.
Please mail checks prior to your farm trip pre-visit to:
Rogue Valley Farm to School
PO Box 898
Ashland OR 97520
If you have any questions or concerns about your field trip, don't hesitate to contact us!